An architectural work
It was inaugurated on June 18, 1911, in a general style neobizantino, although also it combines neogothic and classical elements, and a decoration near to the modernism.
The front presents an eardrum richly decorated, with sculptures that they represent the Virgin of the Favor, san Jorge and Santiago, employers of Barcelona, Catalonia and Spain, respectively.
There is formed by three semicircular arches on columns, inserted inside a big arch, also of half a point decorated initially with a mosaic of the Holiest Trinidad work of Daniel Zuloaga, who was destroyed in 1936; in 1955 a new decoration was done in charge of the Workshops Bru of Barcelona, which shows an allegory of the devotion of Spain to the Sacred Heart, represented by its holy employers
The space of the crypt is formed by five ships separated by columns, the most wide head office, with its corresponding semicircular apses. The walls and the vaults are covered with alabaster or with decoration of mosaic, with scenes relative to the dedications of the altars (Virgin Mary Auxiliadora, san Antonio de Padua, san José and the Virgin of Montserrat) and to the proper history of the basilica (the Solemn delivery of the areas to Don Bosco in 1886 in the basilica of the Favor, the Pilgrimage of the Branch and the Angels offering the temple to God as a token of submission and gift).
Also there is of polychrome alabaster the Route Crucis sculpted by Josep Miret and Alfons Pérez Fàbregas. The windows, which contribute a natural lighting to the interior, complement each other with shop windows of diverse topics: the biggest in arch, in the ends, represent the appearance of the Virgin of the Prop and Recaredo’s conversion to the Catholicism; san Fernando and san Hermenegildo they occupy two vertical big shop windows, while the kidlings placed on the door are dedicated to san Joaquín, san Isidoro, san Antonio and saint Elizabeth de Aragón, queen of Portugal
The top temple was constructed between 1915 and 1951, and was bendecido for the bishop Gregorio Modrego in XXXV International Eucharistic Congress celebrated in Barcelona in 1952. Later they did the towers to themselves and finished officially the works in 1961.
The building was constructed by bluish gray stone of Gerona; it is of square plant, from which three apses arise, and it presents a big central tower and four more falls, delimiting four apexes of the square, in which there were placed the sculptures of Twelve Apostles.
The principal front has three bodies, head office more breadth presided by the figure of the Archangel Miguel in the arch of the main entry and that of san Juan Bosco in the top pediment. On the left door Teresa de Jesus finds the saint’s statue and, on the right, that of holy Margarita Maria Alacoque.
The interior is divided in three ships with semicircular apses, with shop windows and four rose windows in the fronts. The shop windows of the presbytery are dedicated to Pío X, san Juan Evangelista, saint Margarita Maria Alacoque, san Pablo and san Juan Bosco.
The left altar has five shop windows dedicated to different Marian dedications: the Virgin of Antipole (Philippines), the Virgin of Luján (Argentina), the Asunción of Maria, the Virgin of Guadeloupe (Mexico) and the Virgin of the Charity of the Copper (Cuba).
The right altar is presided by resuscitated Jesus, and dedicates its shop windows to Spanish Marian dedications: the Virgin of the Almudena (Madrid), the Virgin of Nuria (Catalonia), Our Lady of the Hope (Seville) Of the district of the Macarena, the Virgin of Helpless (Valencia) and the Virgin of Begoña (Basque Country).
The shop windows of four towers contain the Latin phrase tibi dabo («I will give to you»), for the name of the mountain. At the level of the choir founding saints appear: san Marcelino Champagnat and san Juan Bautista of Le Sal on both sides of the presbytery, and san Antonio Maria Claret, san José de Calasanz, san Juan Bosco and saint Maria Mazzarello along with the principal front.
The shop windows of four fronts are dedicated to san Francisco de Sales, Pío XI, san Ignacio de Loyola, san Francisco Javier, Pío IX, saint Rosa de Lima, León XIII and Pío XII. Eight shop windows of the dome represent scenes of Jesus’s life